Old poem - Lost in the Forest

 old unedited poem from 6/9/2023 - part of Lost in the Forest (story I am forever working on, illustrated poems)

*********

 

The true king wanders just like you

draped in rags cut on the woods

he need not hide inside a tower –

he walks all over the earth and calls it home


So long you could not recognize him,

sad eyes lonesome gazing forward

turned away from problems, burdens,

disillusioned with their illusory world


Demon burden springs a dark dream

so seductive, sheep stay sleeping

just to see the storm upon the sea

to watch the moon go dark


And you, queen, searched for flashing eyes

in shadows, shapes come forth from only corners

who would never adore you,

never tell you love is free


Many times you've seen his shadow,

and tried to pull him by his clothes,

embrace you – but it always goes, wandering

when light shows he is not the king


The long lost king, you thought he was asleep

but he was wandering

across the forest home

and he never did abandon you.


It's tempting to pull on a shoulder,

“turn around, my love" – if only

you will see you recognize me

you will remember our home


But when I pull, it's never you –

your shadow, though, makes me remember

more of our world with each encounter,

in the chalk dry shadow world


All I remembered is a faded memory

when you left the castle world we built

our kingdom – never see you again

left me wandering, seem a witch


collecting stories to build again

a broken dream lost to your whim

and for years I find you again and again,

hoping you recognize who I am.


A true king is no amnesiac –

I saw the faithless one, 'fore God cover my eyes

out of pity for my broken heart, he makes me blind, restores my sight

little by little and trace by trace

I cannot, only, forget One's face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick thoughts on Saltburn

The Way to the Lighted Cafe

Men and their Names